STAFF REPORT

Discussion in 'Staff Feedback' started by Savannask, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savannask

Savannask Player

1st i couldnt find a format so i made my own up

NAME : LaneyKin

REASON : abuseive to players

i have evidene

what happened : So laney has be abusive to some players. 1 of the evidence i have is of some1 helping some1 and then she told him/her to stay out of it / in chat somehwere in pic.

you can ask some players

the person in the screenshot. its a bit annoying as shes a bit mean and i find things offencive

Attached Files:

#1 Savannask, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Stormtimbers

Stormtimbers Well-Known Member
    Sirius Witherweaver 4 Year Badge

I was the player that laney shut down when I was just helping.

A player (my friend) asked a question if he would be banned if people read a private form of communication (a book) that he had been temporarily banned for because a moderator found it "offensive", even though he did not intend to give the book to the mod. I replied to his question by saying that he would only get in trouble if someone found it offensive and reported him. Laney then for some reason told me to stay out of it.

3. Meljardo

Meljardo Forum Elder
    Sol Voidwalker 5 Year Badge

This is partly because you gave false information. Content of books, names of tools and armor, and renamed blocks are considered to be punishable if it breaks chat rules or is derogatory or defaming to a person or group of individuals. As such just having the book is enough to be punished if found by a moderator.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Robert4431

Robert4431 [Retired-Promoter]
    Altair Voidwalker 5 Year Badge

Firstly, Laney is a trial staff member, so cut them some slack.

Secondly, there will be a reason as to why they told you to stay out of it.

Thirdly, how and where has this person been abusive?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EchoJX

EchoJX Gotta go fast!
    Voidwalker 5 Year Badge

You were probably silenced because it is not your place to speak for the staff when you are not staff. I would love to see more of the context around when this happened too, as Laney is generally very good with players. Also understand the frustration when you are trying to clarify a rule and someone else is trying to provide conflicting information.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. xSapio

xSapio Well-Known Member
    Sol Witherweaver 3 Year Badge

If I may add to this, Laney sort of shut me down too when asking for a mod to move a chest that was in the way of building operations. The player hadn't really been around for a while so I asked in /help for a quick /cc which in the past hadn't really been an issue.

"Not a moving service." Is probably not the most diplomatic or player-friendly answer but it did its' job I guess, I'm not really FOR such a harsh tone on questions asked in /help but I do realise Laney is pretty new to the server and still a trial guide. I support her for being useful and informative but could ask for a little fine tuning on wording things so as other players might not be offended and such. Which also happens to be the issue in this case. Misunderstanding.

7. Meljardo

Meljardo Forum Elder
    Sol Voidwalker 5 Year Badge

Staff used to be encouraged not to /cc for players unless absolutely needed. The /cc command exists for a reason. I don't know if it changed but when I was staff that is exactly what i was told to tell players that asked for staff to /cc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. i0range

i0range [Staff Lead] Your Generous Overlord
    Staff Member Multiverse Voidwalker 4 Year Badge

Hi there, was said "mod" there - if you have anything you need to know about that I suggest you look here: http://www.mayhem-multiverse.com/forums/threads/mod-abuse-on-omniverse.29987/
    You're right, she did. Why ?

We usually don't like it when you talk about another player's penalties or the nature of their bans (and tempbans) within a public chat - that's to be done with said banned player and staff. It's out of respect to the player that was penalized.

About the cc incident - we're not a moving service is something that a lot of staff have said in the past or present, if you wanted to hear an apology or different choice of words I'm fairly sure it's as easy as asking her for a better selection. She seems like a very reasonable person to speak to if you ever get the chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. xSapio

xSapio Well-Known Member
    Sol Witherweaver 3 Year Badge

In regards to the /cc standard answer "Not a moving service" - It wasn't a big deal nor do I want an apology, there's no need to be butthurt over a chest that wasn't removed. I'm just putting forward that it's a rather sassy response to a sincere question that benefits mods more than the player by shutting them down. It's a great insider joke but still an unpleasant interaction with staff nonetheless. (It just happened to be Laney and it wasn't worth a new thread so I added onto it so you be notified.)

10. Savannask

Savannask Player

The screen shot that is provided supports 1 of the reasons .. she kept killing me in /warp beta before omni was out

11. Blackhawks72

Blackhawks72 Forum Elder
    Sirius Voidwalker 5 Year Badge

So wait, if the guide was shutting you down while you tried to answer a simple question, such as what FAQ to use, that's wrong and shouldn't have happened. However if you were discussing bans or reason for bans, it's probably right that this happened

12. Stormtimbers

Stormtimbers Well-Known Member
    Sirius Witherweaver 4 Year Badge

wait wasn't pvp on in beta anyway? so why is that a problem?

13. Anixus

Anixus Retired Staff Lead
    Multiverse Voidwalker 4 Year Badge

I'll start off by looking at that screenshot, and the main point of this thread. I went to our server logs to get a better understand of the context, and what exactly caused that response.
    From that short snippet of the logs, I can see that this issue has wormed it's way back into relevance. It seems the issue occurred because of Laney clarifying a rule for IlyaShch, however was opposed by Valerius providing conflicting information. Given how questions relating to that book issue should have been answered in the previous thread, it's not helpful for it to be discussed in chat, let alone with multiple different answers. Perhaps you might argue that Laney could have worded her response better, but she could have definitely worded it a whole lot worse. There doesn't appear to be any malicious intent by her response - just her trying to stand her ground as a Guide, and provide the most accurate answer to the question.

If you need more clarification of our policy towards the book situation, then I'll advise you go back to the other thread, or read @Meljardo's response, as he sums it up pretty well:
    Moving on.
    Above anything else, it's probably worth considering that Laney wasn't a staff member during Omni Beta. She was accepted for TrGuide on January 2nd, and seeing as Omni released on January 1st, Omni was never in Beta during her time on staff. Therefore, this is irrelevant in this thread.

I'd also like you to consider that harassment and abuse can work both ways, and upon further investigation into this topic, I actually found multiple instances of you being rude and harassing Laney:
    It was only after being told by multiple staff to stop that you actually did.

Then this:
    So please, in future if you're going to report my staff for abuse, try to make sure that you're not actually the one abusing them.

And finally, in regards to this:
    I need to do no more than reiterate @i0range's response, as he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    Locking. Inbox me if you have any further questions.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
  14. whowhatwhy420

whowhatwhy420 I... Um.. Build stuff and whatnot
    Staff Member Vega Witherweaver 1 Year Badge

I just wanna add in that a lot of players have had this attitude twards things when staff "warn" them about something that is borderline like that... if they would read the /rules they would be aware that staff reserve the right to penalize even if the occurrence doesn't fit neatly into one of the rules categories. I've been staff on many different servers over many years and even on other games than just Minecraft and what I've learned is that when it come to "grey areas" like this players will try to take advantage. So just remember if you are respectful to the staff members they'll probably be respectful to you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.